We are raised in a time of respect. We replied “yes sir” and “yes madam” when we addressed our parents or parents of my friends.
We respected our elders and were taught to respect our leaders.
And even when my parents disagreed with the agenda of a president – they still respected the Office of the President.
But the political commentary of this week has drowned out the message of President Obama. But in his words, I heard echos of conversations from my childhood. And as we deal with a father in the early stages of dementia, it was good to hear the “parentisms” of our youth. It was a reminder of more innocent times in our past.
As I listened to President Obama’s education speech this week, I felt like I could close my eyes and repeat word for word some of the same education messages I grew up hearing from my parents.
And I know we are not alone. Most of our friends grew up hearing similar education messages for their parents.
Because the parent’s view of the importance of a quality education is universal.
Words of My Father
Below is a quick list of words from the President’s speech that reminded me of conversations long past…
- Put in the hard work for success
- No one was born good at everything
- Everyone has something they’re good at
- What ever you do in life, you need an education
- You don’t just drop into a good job (our dad never said this but he said things that sounded like it)
- Set you own goals for your education
- Read a book
- The truth is, being successful is hard
- You won’t love every subject you study. You won’t love every teacher you have
- You won’t always succeed at everything the first time you try
- You become good after putting in the hard work
- No excuse for not trying
- Where you are right now does not have to determine where you end up
- You can’t let your failures define you. You have to let them show you what to do next time
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help
- Asking for help isn’t a sign of weakness
- Don’t EVER give up on yourself
- I expect you to put in your best efforts
- You make you own future
- Make us proud
In this week’s Pop Corn Friday’s College Video of the Week
We love to hear your comments on what your parents used to say to you about the importance of education when you were growing up. Leave a comment below.
Quote of the Week
“We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” – Albert Einstein